Last Updated on 5/22/2018
IV. Information We Collect
- Personal Data: we may collect information (whether online, by phone, or by paper) that identifies or that could reasonably be used to identify you (“Personal Data”) when you provide such information on our Sites or otherwise interact with Pecan Street, including, but not limited to, as a Research Participant, in applying for data licenses, or purchasing Pecan Street’s products or services. The types of Personal Data collected may include your name, address, phone number, billing and delivery information, and email address.
- Other Data: We refer to all other data other than Personal Data as “Other Data”. We collect Other Data through a variety of sources including, but not limited to, data streams from our field sensors installed on your premises (applicable to Research Participants), cookies and other technologies that record data about your use of our Sites. Other Data that we may collect include:
- Field sensors data (applicable to Research Participants only): this data includes, but is not limited to, information from energy monitoring sensors, volumetric water sensors, volumetric natural gas sensors, temperature sensors, and other instrumentation installed by us (or our designee) on your premises (collectively, “field sensors” or “devices”);
- Browser, cookie and tracking technology data: this data includes, amongst others, information about your browser, Internet Protocol (IP) address, operating system, internet browser type, cookies, tags, web beacons and other tools. Cookies are small text files that are stored in a computer’s web browser memory. They help website providers with things like understanding how people use a website, remembering a user’s login details, and storing website preferences. Cookies do not enable us to identify you, but are used to record information about the pages you have viewed on our website, the date and time of your visit to the site, etc. Cookies may be placed on our Site by us or third-party entities. Tags and web beacons refer to code scripts that are primarily used to track visitors’ activities on our Sites by web analytics software. Specifically, the types of Other Data we collect on our Sites through the use of the aforementioned, and other tools, from time to time, may include: the search terms you used, new or returning user information, browser information, computer type, operating system, internet service providers, website usage, referring or exit pages, platform type, date or time stamp, number of clicks, and similar other information. Additionally, cookies, tags and other tools placed by third parties may collect other information about you and your visits to sites and elsewhere on the internet including, but not limited to, your business or academic institution, business size, title, and other similar information. You can disable cookies in your web browser. However, this will disable all cookies used by your browser, including those from other websites, which may cause certain settings or information to be altered or lost. Disabling cookies may change your browsing experience on our website or may make navigating around the site more difficult.
V. How We Use and Share Personal Data
We do not sell Personal Data or make it available to third parties without your express permission. Pecan Street may disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process served on Pecan Street; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of the Pecan Street; or (c) protect the personal safety of Pecan Street personnel or members of the public in appropriate circumstances. In addition, if Pecan Street and/or its assets (or a portion of its assets) is/are sold, assigned, transferred, or merged, or if it undergoes some other change including a change to its corporate form as part of a bankruptcy proceeding or otherwise, information may be transferred as part of that transaction or change.
VI. How We May Use and Share Other Data
Through the use of various technological tools, we may collect Other Data to improve the usability of our Sites/Services and for other business reasons. We use Other Data for a range of purposes, provided we comply with applicable law and our contractual commitments. For example, we make Other Data available, through our Dataport web portal and other external dispatch methods, to researchers and other partners under free and paid data licensing agreements. Other Data may also be included in reports, proposals, presentations, amongst others, to funders and other entities as needed to further Pecan Street’s mission.
VII. You Can Manage the Collection of Data
All mailings from us will provide a link to allow you to unsubscribe. Beyond unsubscribing, you are also entitled to access, correct and delete personal data which relates to you, and to object to further collection of such data. You may exercise this right at any time by contacting us via the following methods:
- Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to: Pecan Street Inc., 3924 Berkman Dr., Austin TX United States.
Once we receive a data deletion request, we will undertake to delete all data within one week of the request. Third party advertising companies may collect data about your visit to our Sites and others to provide you more relevant advertising here and elsewhere on the Internet. This type of advertising is known as Online Behavioral Advertising. You can stop this collection and use of data for these purposes by companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) by visiting the “Opt Out From Online Behavioral Advertising” website. By opting out, the ads you see may be less relevant, and you may still continue to see other non-targeted advertisements on our Sites and elsewhere.
VIII. Information Security
IX. User ID and Password
Certain areas of the Sites may require the use of a user ID, email address, or password as an additional security measure that helps protect your information. To help you protect your privacy, the Sites have tools to help you log in and log out.
X. Linking to Other Internet Sites
XI. How You Can Access and Change Information
If you would like to review, correct, or update Personal Data that you have previously disclosed to us, you may do so by signing in to your user account or by contacting us at: email@example.com.