By Suzanne Russo, CEO, Pecan Street
As 2018 wraps up, we’ve just finished our FY 2017-2018 Annual Report. The past year was one of successes, reflection and transition at Pecan Street, and we’re proud to share with you how we’ve continued — and expanded — the organization’s commitment to world-class energy and water research.
But if you’re looking for a quick recap, we have you covered. Following are some of Pecan Street’s most notable achievements from the 2017-2018 fiscal year.
Happy Holidays from the entire Pecan Street team!
- Developed low-cost solution to remotely diagnose HVAC system performance and causes of failure to improve thermal efficiency.
- Created and began testing an open standards platform that aggregates residential DER availability and provides remote DER management services.
- Launched the PLATFORM for Product Launch, which conducts low-cost performance testing and third-party verification for clean-tech start-ups.
- Released a revolutionary dataset of one-second, appliance-level home energy data.
- Released our high-resolution water dataset to more than 2,500 researchers around the world.
- Developed low-cost data management solutions for municipal water utilities that can help them better manage limited water supplies and promote the development of best practices across regions.
- Deployed our custom water monitoring hardware at several Central Texas schools, and within a month, had detected an underground pipe leak that was wasting 400,000 gallons per month.
- Brought our unique public-private R&D approach to help solve first- and last-mile public transit challenges with neighborhood- and environmentally-friendly electric shuttles, providing more than 15,000 shuttle rides in three Austin pilots.
- Created Texas’ only grid-connected R&D testing center for aggregated V2G management, in partnership with Austin Energy.
- Secured a $1.1 million award from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and two $1 million awards from the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Upgraded all of our data management and access procedures to comply with the European Union’s new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
- Launched a cybersecurity research program to ensure that new energy technologies enhance grid security.
- Continued to diversify revenue streams, and increased Pecan Street’s net assets 23%.