November 10, 2019
Pecan Street Seeks Full Stack Developer and Team Lead
Pecan Street Inc. seeks a Full Stack Developer and Team Lead to be part of its award-winning team innovating solutions for intelligent energy management and drought mitigation. The selected candidate will work out of Pecan Street’s state-of-the-art, green-built lab in Austin’s Mueller community and will be part of a passionate, dynamic team that works on a range of exciting programs in partnership with public and private entities.
About Pecan Street Inc.
Climate change is the world’s single greatest challenge. And securing a clean water supply for a growing population isn’t far behind. Solving both challenges will grow the economy, improve people’s lives, and protect our natural resources and climate.
Pecan Street is uniquely accelerating solutions for climate resilience and drought mitigation by providing technology companies and university researchers with access to the world’s best data on consumer energy and water consumption behavior, testing and verification of technology solutions, and commercialization services to help bring breakthrough ideas to market faster and guide policy decisions.
Pecan Street’s lab is a green-built facility where companies of all sizes can develop, test and validate a wide range of products and services. The lab also houses Pecan Street’s secure data center, which powers Dataport – Pecan Street’s interactive web portal to access, visualize, analyze and discuss the organization’s unique data.
Our real-world testbed of volunteer research participants is the first of its kind on the planet and has become an international model for how to develop and conduct energy and resource research and product testing. Our commercialization lab is an affordable, world-class proving ground for major corporations and startups alike. And our database, the largest source of disaggregated customer energy data, is used by university researchers and industry-leading companies around the world.
Headquartered in Austin, Pecan Street Inc. is a 501(c)(3) research and development organization.
The Full Stack Developer and Team Lead will play an integral role in the Pecan Street team. Generally, the applicant will manage Pecan Street’s data team and lead full stack development for the organization in collaboration with the Chief Technology Officer. The Full Stack Development Manager reports to the CTO, and will work closely with the CEO, CTO, and Director of Operations to ensure project milestones are achieved on schedule and represent Pecan Street’s high standards of quality.
The Full Stack Developer and Team Lead will have lead responsibility for the architecture, implementation, on-going management and support of server-side applications for Pecan Street, including:
- Develop APIs from Pecan Street’s data streams for integration with client projects and researcher resources,
- Integrate third-party APIs with Pecan Street’s data,
- Oversee server and network architecture and maintenance,
- Oversee the ETL processes necessary to successfully incorporate new data streams into Pecan Street’s database,
- Oversee continued development of mobile applications that utilize Pecan Street’s data for participant and client benefits,
- Develop front-end website architecture,
- Design user interactions on Dataport,
- Develop back-end website applications,
- Manage data team members (Database Administrator, Programmer, and DevOps Programmer) in the design and completion of their individual tasks and collectively in completion of broad goals for Pecan Street. The successful candidate will be able and eager to serve as a mentor for the data team members, investing in their professional growth and ensuring a positive, collaborative and happy work environment.
- Work closely with Pecan Street’s program managers in design of work plans, timelines and budgets, ensuring that overall project objectives are feasible and that the data team is adequately resourced to complete their portions.
Experience and skills
Pecan Street seeks a candidate with:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or a relevant field, Master’s degree is preferred,
- Proficiency with fundamental front-end languages such as HTML, CSS, and Java Script,
- Proficiency with server-side languages such as Python, PHP, and C++,
- Expert in database architecture and SQL,
- Experience designing, debugging, and maintaining efficient server-side applications for servicing data requests from a mobile app ecosystem,
- Experience designing, debugging, and maintaining server-side implementation of iOS/Android applications,
- Experience with JSON commands,
- Experience developing and implementing API’s, and
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills.
- Team management: candidate should be able to manage and lead teams of developers and technical staff to help deliver projects on time and to completion. Candidate should enjoy working with others and working as a team to solve problems.
- Communication and relationship-building skills: candidate should be comfortable communicating with all levels of an organization, including delivering presentations to executive level audiences and community groups. Candidate should be adept at communicating technical concepts and terms to non-technical audiences. The ideal candidate will take joy in building relationships with colleagues.
- Teamwork: candidate should enjoy working in a team environment and contribute to a positive, respectful and collaborative approach.
- Planning and organizational skills: candidate should be able to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
Benefits are competitive and include:
- Health insurance requiring no contribution from the employee including dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, and affordable family plans;
- 401(k) retirement planning;
- 15 days of annual paid-time off plus 10 additional holidays; and,
- 3 months of fully-paid maternity and paternity leave.
Applications will be accepted through December 1 , 2019. Please apply at https://www.pecanstreet.org/apply/. Application package should include resume, cover letter, and a report sample detailing the results of a statistical analysis.