Pecan Street Inc. Seeks Systems Administrator
Pecan Street Inc. seeks a Systems Administrator for management of Pecan Street Inc.’s data servers and computing systems, acquisition, integration and management of database quality. This position will require close collaboration with the organization’s staff, funded researchers and industry partners.
Pecan Street Inc. is a clean energy/smart grid research and development organization headquartered at The University of Texas at Austin. It carries out applied research and manages research carried out by UT faculty and students and private sector researchers from companies that are members of the Pecan Street Consortium.
The person selected for this position will provide systems administration for Pecan Street’s Pike Powers Lab and the Pecan Street Research Institute, which houses the nationally recognized Consumer Research Database of home electricity, natural gas and water use. The Systems Administrator will be part of a team that carries out cutting-edge technical development and commercialization testing of next-generation consumer products integrating electricity, natural gas and water use data. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on development and testing of big data management products and services with executives from many of the world’s leading consumer technology companies, as well as data scientists from The University of Texas.
The Systems Administrator will work at Pecan Street’s headquarters at UT’s West Pickle Research Building and at Pecan Street’s Pike Powers Lab.
- Hardware setup and management for a Windows system
- Management of Linux servers
- Management of SQL database: managing database architecture and functionality to maximize services, products and research enabled by Pecan Street’s data while ensuring compliance with the organization’s cybersecurity policy
- Database ETL scripting: ensuring the integrity of original data collected through Pecan Street’s research programs through timely integration of original and complimentary data sources
- Working with APIs: utilizing external APIs to bring data into Pecan Street’s database and creation of APIs for use by partners and app developers
- Reporting: creating reports on database features and functionality for internal use and creating reports on database content for external use
- User management: providing support to Pecan Street staff and partners in use of the database and in performing SQL queries
- Imaging management
Experience and Skills
Pecan Street seeks a candidate with:
- A degree in a relevant field
- At least three years of experience managing Linux servers
- At least three years of experience managing physical servers
- Demonstrated experience managing and troubleshooting large databases that integrate large amounts of data from multiple sources with constant input of new data requiring validation and analysis. Management of database includes data warehouse organization, database normalization, benchmarking and optimization.
- Demonstrated experience creating APIs
- Experience training users on database queries and providing customer service
- Knowledge of relational databases, data structures, data modeling and basic related programming. Ability to apply knowledge to new situations and problems.
Ideal professional experience and personal attributes also include:
- Proficiency in SQL, Scripting and ETL tools (Pentaho, SSIS, Informatica, etc.)
- Experience providing user support to colleagues and clients
- Ability to work independently and deliver projects on time
- Good communication skills and ability to effectively report progress on assigned tasks
- Demonstrated ability to creatively and tenaciously solve technical problems
- Excellent organization and advanced analytical skills
- Commitment to continuous professional development
- Applicants must be legally able to work in the U.S. and must meet the Experience Necessary.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Pecan Street provides health insurance, including dental and vision, holiday benefits, 401(k) retirement planning, short-term and long-term disability.
Pecan Street will accept applications through February 28, 2013. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.